Behind Punk is a D.I.Y. punk blog/fanzine/record label based out of Moscow


We need to focus on positive change in the world, and it starts with our scene and the people within it. More hugs, less shrugs!


www.facebook.com/voskresensky.vanya

www.facebook.com/BehindPunk

www.goodbyeweekendrecords.limitedrun.com




behindpunk@gmail.com




Monday, May 30, 2011

Interview with Lisa Garelick (Kind Of Like Records)


Keep Up With Kind Of Like Records:

Lisa Garelick is a busy girl. When she's not spends time behind the cooking spicy food, watching Netflix, she's busy discovering and nurturing young bands with she's label Kind Of Like Records. Awesome person and great label. I wish we had more people in punk rock trying to spread shit like this around! 
Thanks to Lisa for answering my questions. 

Hey Lisa! how have you been?

I've been pretty great! The summer season means lots more shows and getting to see my friends from all over the country come through town. So I can not complain.


Right then, first things first, what lead to the start of Kind Of Like Records? And what does Kind Of Like mean to you?

I've wanted to have a record label all my own since I was in college. I've done a bunch of different stuff behind the scenes, but running a record label was the big one. It involved a lot of money and time. Something of which I didn't have. When I got out of college I saved up, found the right band, and pushed forward. So in a way, Kind Of Like is a dream come to life. Hopefully it's something I can continue doing for a long time!


Who are your favorite bands on the Kind Of Like Records roster? What are you most looking forward for the future regarding future releases?

I don't really have a favorite band. Each one is so different and means something else to me. Captain, We're Sinking were the first band I got to work with and they have a special place in my heart forever becuase of that. But bands like Direct Hit remind me that you can have fun and not take life so seriously, so that's pretty great too. 

As for the future, we've got a big announcement coming up this week about a new record that I can't wait for people to hear! We also have Great Cynics (formerly Cynics) new record Don't Need Much out on June 14th and a new release for Timeshares in the fall. We'll probably have one or two more for the year then close it out. 


 Are you surprised about the success of some of the bands on your label? 

I wouldn't say any of the bands have "made it" just yet but the fact that people care about their music is a tribute to them and the hard work they put into it. Anything they get, they deserve. I'm just really happy to be a part of it.


When bands approach you to be signed or whatever, what are you looking for?

It really depends. Realistically, I'm looking for a band that tours since that's the only sure way to really build or grow a band these days. On top of that, I look to work with great, like-minded people who write music that moves me. If I don't feel something, it's usually a sign that it won't work out.


Are there any bands you haven't worked with who you'd like to?

Of course there are. As a label, we've only been around for a year, so there's lots of time to grow but I'd really like to work with Slingshot Dakota. That band is incredible. Between their passionate music and live show, I can't get enough of them!


As the owner of a record label, how do you adapt to downloading music illegally? Do you support downloading music? How do you think small bands can make a profit? Any ideas on how we can fix the industry?

I don't mind when people download music illegally. It happens. I just hope that it brings kids out to shows to buy merch and hopefully physical copies of the records. We all put a lot of work into putting them out. It'd be nice to at least make the money back that we put in.

I think small bands can make a profit by being smart. Tour often, build your fanbase online and in person, and make records worth having. Most bands will tell you it takes a lot of time and money to make money. I wouldn't disagree with that one bit.

As I see it, the only way to fix the industry is to get rid of illegal downloading entirely or completely change the way in which we put out music. I don't have the answer yet, but one day I hope myself or someone else figures it out. Hopefully soon!


What are your favorite recent music releases?

I've really been enjoying new releases from Mansions, Joyce Manor, and An Horse. I've been a fan of An Horse for awhile, but Mansions and Joyce Manor are pretty new to me. If you've got a sec, be sure to check them out.


What's your biggest gripe with the punk/hardcore scene?

I think my biggest gripe would be with the hardscore scene and the gang culture surrounding it. I grew up outside of Philly which has a pretty notorious gang called FSU. They would make hardcore shows unbearable, beating up my friends because they were "punk" and dancing with the intent to hurt those around them. That sort of machismo isn't welcome and shouldn't be allowed. 


What were for you personally the best and worst moments of 2010? 

My personal best was starting Kind Of Like and my worst was when the Flyers lost the Stanley Cup. 2011 isn't shaping up to be their year either but we'll get em in 2012!


What are your plans for 2011?

My plans are to see a lot of great shows, make a lot of new friends and put out some cool records. 


Before the end of today, what would you wish to happen?

Before the end of today, I'd wish for my inbox to be empty and for my to-do list to be completed. I like to keep things realistic.


 Thanks for doing this interview Lisa! And finally, is there anything else that you want people to know, that you want the readers to know.

I want them to know that Ryan Rockwell is a huge fan of the new Limp Bizkit record and will be purchasing a copy this summer. Thanks for the interview.


No comments:

Post a Comment